Water Information

The City Public Works Department distributes up to 15 million gallons of water each day to more than 16,000 residences and businesses. Our mission is to provide high quality water that meets or exceeds the stringent water quality standards established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the State of California Department of Health Services (DOHS). The Public Works Department is dedicated to providing you with a dependable supply of high quality water.

In December 2002, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California completed its source water assessment of its State Water Project supplies. State Water Project supplies are considered to be most vulnerable to urban/storm water runoff, wildlife, agriculture, recreation and wastewater. A copy of the assessment can be obtained by contacting Metropolitan by phone at (213) 217-6850.

In order to ensure that tap water is safe to drink, the California Department of Health Services (DOHS) prescribes regulations that limit the amount of certain contaminants in water provided by public water systems. The quality of our drinking water meets all State requirements for safe water.

Water Quality Report
Download the 2013 (Published May 2014) Annual Water Quality Report brochure.
The only difference between some bottled water and City of Thousand Oaks water is that one comes from your faucet and the other comes in bottles. Read up on Tap Water Facts for additional information.

Reading Your Meter
Reading your water meter will tell you how much water you're using and whether you have a leak. Most meters are located near the curb in front of your home or business, under a concrete lid.

Billing units are in hundred cubic feet "HCF"; to obtain HCF, read all digits except the last two. Subtract your last reading from the current reading to determine your use in hundred cubic feet. To convert your usage to gallons, multiply by 750 (one hundred cubic feet (1 HCF) equals 748 gallons). To check for leaks, turn off all water inside and outside your residence -- if the flow indicator (colored plastic triangle on the face of the meter) moves or rotates, then you have a water leak.

Always replace the concrete cover, even if you'll "only be gone a minute"